Africa 2024 4.0 Cape Town

Africa 2024 4.0 Cape Town

When:  26 to 30 April 2024

Where:  Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town

Weather:  Mostly sunny and nice.  High of about 25c.  But sporadically windy and cloudy.  Cape Town is famous for its changeable weather.

What:  Mostly just relaxing.  Did a Cape tour and saw the Cape of Good Hope.  Very pretty but VERY windy! Brent had no problem controlling his hair.  My hairspray did not hold up as well.


Took the gondola to the top of Table Mountain.  Weather was not great but still some decent views.


Who:  The Fab Four!

Workout: I did one workout and my legs are now killing me. 

Walking: Not much but we did do a so-called 15 min walk to the waterfront that took over an hour.  Turns out it's a 15 min Uber ride!

Wine:  Wine pairings at a fabulous restaurant called Belly of the Beast.  As well, the hotel brought us a bottle of wine each evening.  Just what we need!



Whine:  Steph isn't getting enough shopping done!

Wtf: I needed to buy some US Dollars at the currency exchange.  It was a ridiculous process to go through to buy $300.  I had to show my passport, give them my address, they noted when I entered South Africa, etc etc etc. but I finally got my $300.  Shane is a dual Canadian and South African and holds two passports.  She has to enter South Africa with her SA passport.  They wouldn't exchange the money until she proved her residence in SA!  She lives in Canada!  

While I do understand the need to monitor transactions to prevent money laundering, it seems excessive to spend this much time over $300.  

Wild: The wind at the Cape of Good Hope!

Wildlife: Cheeky mynah bird trying to steal our food.  Also penguins and an ostrich. And a snake sanctuary.  Brent was freaked out.

And the Penguins!

Video: https://youtube.com/shorts/2CBgiIqzijQ?si=yuculztQ5CuU0oo8




Water: The ferocious Atlantic ocean.  Looks fairly calm here but the waves are treacherous and the temperature is apparently around 8C.  

Wonderful: The Hotel Mount Nelson. Honourable mention goes to the brand new Fairmont Cape Grace.  We got a tour and found it to be a beautifully restored hotel.  

Shane and Steph went to the stunningly beautiful Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens.




This is the Grand Pink Nellie.  




Comments

  1. Thanks for your ongoing blog posts Dan, I’m enjoying my vicarious safari with you and Brent! J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Africa 2024 1.0 London

Africa 2024 3.0 Botswana

Africa 2024 5.0 Stellenbosch